Friday, August 1, 2014

July Wrap-Up

The Merciless by Danielle Vega

This is the first book in the series. I am not sure how many books this will be turned into and I am not sure if I will continue on it depends. It kind of is all wrapped up by the end for the most part. I will do a separate video review of this book.
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

This is the first book in the Grisha trilogy. I have had this book on my TBR shelf for quite a while. I picked it up finally for a buddy read that I was doing on Goodreads. I really enjoyed this book and hope to finish up the trilogy next month.
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

This is the first book in the Percy Jackson and Olympians series. I read this with a Goodreads group. My significant other has already read this whole series and enjoyed it a lot so I thought I would start on it so that we can discuss. I do understand now how the book compared to the movie is nothing a like. Overall it was pretty good.
The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

This is the second book in the Percy Jackson and Olympians series. This one is a lot closer to the movie then the first one but still had lots of things different. I am glad I got to read this one as well. I will note that in the books I find that Grover is a bit annoying and I don't really like his character. I did kind of like how he was portrayed in the movie though, perhaps he will get better as I read on.

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

This is the second book in the Grisha trilogy. I again read this with the same friend that I read the first one with. I liked this one a lot more then the first one. There is more action and more of the war seen in this one. Unlike in the first one where she is basically deciding who she likes more and figuring out her power.
The Tailor by Leigh Bardugo

This was a short story in the back of my copy of Siege and Storm. This is set between the first and second book. It is a short story told from Genya's perspective. This was very interesting and kind of lets you know why she does somethings that she did in the first and continues on in the second book.
Shatter me by Tahereh Mafi

This is the first book in the Shatter Me trilogy. I personally had a hard time reading this. It took a while to get accustomed to all the repeating that is done throughout the book and all the strikethroughs. I also kind of ruined myself since I know who the main character winds up with and in this book I don't see how that is possible at all. Though I have heard it gets better as you keep going so I will keep trying. Other than those issues with the writing style it was pretty good.
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

This is the second book in The Lunar Chronicles.  I will be doing a video review on this one and the first book as well. I really enjoyed this one and love Wolf.
The Queen's Army by Marissa Meyer

This was another short story at the end of Scarlet. This is set between the first book and the second book. Though I really think you should read Scarlet before reading this short story. It is about Wolf and kind of where he was raised and what he went through as a kid and as an adult. If you read Scarlet first you wont be as  confused with where he is and who the some of the characters are.
Blades of the Old Empire by Anna Kashina

This is the first book in the Majat Code. I originally one this in a Goodreads giveaway and have found a new series that I will be continuing on with. I will have a longer written review of this book later on, on this blog.
The Giver by Lois Lowry

This is the first book in The Giver Quartet. I read this book because it is going to be coming to theaters in August so I thought I would read the book before watching the movie. It was some what interesting and I can see now the differences between the trailer and the book that might make some people mad. Overall it was a decent book just a little slow for me. I will continue the series though since I have the whole set it's just not high on my list of to read books.
Kalona's Fall by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

This is the fourth novella in the House of Night series. I expected a little more from this story I suppose. It was interesting and went in a way that I did not expect. It was more about Nyx and how she came to have these two men with her Kalona and his brother Erebus. I love each of the novella's because they have awesome drawings at the beginning of each chapter. They are beautifully done. Overall it was still good and it did kind foretell something about the last book and how this all may wrap up. I am excited to see the 12th and final book.

That was all the books I read in July :) How did you guys do?

No comments:

Post a Comment