Monday, June 22, 2015

Survive the Night by Danielle Vega

Genre: Young Adult, Horror
Published: July 7, 2015
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 272

Source: First to Read
Synopsis:
We're all gonna die down here. . . .

Julie lies dead and disemboweled in a dank, black subway tunnel, red-eyed rats nibbling at her fingers. Her friends think she’s just off with some guy—no one could hear her getting torn apart over the sound of pulsing music.

In a tunnel nearby, Casey regrets coming to Survive the Night, the all-night underground rave in the New York City subway. Her best friend Shana talked her into it, even though Casey just got out of rehab. Alone and lost in the dark, creepy tunnels, Casey doesn’t think Survive the Night could get any worse . . .
           
. . . until she comes across Julie’s body, and the party turns deadly.

Desperate for help, Casey and her friends find themselves running through the putrid subway system, searching for a way out. But every manhole is sealed shut, and every noise echoes eerily in the dark, reminding them they’re not alone.

They’re being hunted.
           
Trapped underground with someone—or something—out to get them, Casey can’t help but listen to her friend’s terrified refrain: “We’re all gonna die down here. . . .” in this bone-chilling sophmore novel by the acclaimed author of The Merciless.

My Rating:
★★
Review:
I received this book from the First to Reads program for an honest review, all reviews and opinions are my own.

Okay I am not sure where to start with this one but I was expecting there to be an actual person behind the murders or at least something demonic, not a flipping sea monster. This reminds me of that myth that kids are told about the alligator in the sewer. Except this sea monster is an octopus on steroids with tentacles that cut like knives and claws that can spear through a body, also way more than eight legs. 

They synopsis makes it seem like the premise of the story is because of survive the night but really it is just the excuse to get these teens down in the abandoned subway system. I thought it would have more to do with the killings like the title states survive the night so that is what you have to do, but it is nothing like that.

So I think for character wise when I read about Shana all I could think about was the from craft who turns evil by the end of it her name was Nancy. She is just that bad girl that can't stop being bad, she wants to bring down everyone else so that she isn't the only one with the crappy life. Sam was almost to perfect I was actually waiting for him to maybe be the murder that would be a great character flaw but alas that does not happen. I think out of the characters, Woody is the only one I actually liked, I wanted to like Aya since she was super smart but she was a follower and I guess that bugged me.

The book was thrilling till the end, definitely a page turner, one that will keep you up until you finish it. Especially once you get past the beginning and they are in survive the night. So far I have noticed that her books kind of leave off with questions left unanswered I both like and hate this. Only because I want to know more but maybe if I was left with all the answers the book wouldn't have seemed that interesting. If that makes sense.

Also another fantastic cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment