Sunday, June 28, 2015

Review: Cold Burn of Magic (Book #1) by Jennifer Estep

Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy
Published: April 28, 2015
Publisher: Kensington
Pages: 368

Source: NetGalley
Synopsis: 
There Be Monsters Here. . .

It's not as great as you'd think, living in a tourist town that's known as "the most magical place in America." Same boring high school, just twice as many monsters under the bridges and rival Families killing each other for power.

I try to keep out of it. I've got my mom's bloodiron sword and my slightly illegal home in the basement of the municipal library. And a couple of Talents I try to keep quiet, including very light fingers and a way with a lock pick.

But then some nasty characters bring their Family feud into my friend's pawn shop, and I have to make a call--get involved, or watch a cute guy die because I didn't. I guess I made the wrong choice, because now I'm stuck putting everything on the line for Devon Sinclair. My mom was murdered because of the Families, and it looks like I'm going to end up just like her. . .

My Rating:
★★
Review:
I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review, all reviews and opinions are my own.

This was pretty good though it did remind me of her Gin Blanco series. A lot of other people said its a mix between the Gin Blanco series and her Mythos one.I have only read some of the Gin Blanco series so I can only go off of that one. Lila is a very kick ass character, not very well liked but I think that was part of her charm.

My first problem that I saw with this book is that this place where Lila is, is supposed to be the most magical place in America. I just saw Jurassic World this last weekend and I'm sorry but it just seems like that is what it would turn out like except in this place none of the monsters are placed behind any barricades. So that is one plot hole that my brain will not let me pass over I am still waiting for like the majority of America to rebel against this place. Maybe since the families are kind of like the Mafia everyone is paid off to not say anything if someone goes missing. Which then I can understand that, but still why would the monster not be behind some sort of walls if the families were indeed trying to protect the population.

I myself would like to know more about the secrets Devon's mother is keeping, and Lila must want to know the why herself. I also enjoyed this book because Lila has a little friend that is full of sass who's name is Oscar. Their friendship kind of reminds me of Rachel and Jenks from Kim Harrison's series that just ended and I might be falling in love with the series just because I miss that sort of relationship that Rachel and Jenks had. I hope Oscar might help out Lila more than he has so far. I can see them being a winning team.

I am still unsure of how I feel about Felix only because of the Deah problem he has. That could pose a threat or an awesome ally depending on which way Deah sways in the end. Since the two families are at war with each other I don't sense a good ending for those two, but of course I could be wrong and Romeo and Juliet won't make an appearance in this series. The only other character I am also unsure of is Mo I think he knows more than he is letting on and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing yet. He is tricky and I think even though Lila trusts him she needs to keep her eyes on him.

I am super stoked for the second book to this series I am hoping there are even more monsters in this next one also I hope there is a connection that Lila has with the monsters since the Lockness monster let her keep her ring and waved to her. So many questions that needs to be answered! 

No comments:

Post a Comment