Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Broken Skies (Book #1) by Theresa Kay

Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopian
Published: January 13, 2015
Publisher: Skyscape
Pages: 372

Source: Netgalley
Synopsis:
Thirty years ago, civilization collapsed. Few survived.
Ten years ago, the aliens arrived…and stayed.
One year ago, I killed two men and went a little crazy.
Today, the aliens took my brother and I will do anything to get him back.


In seventeen-year-old Jax Mitchell's world, humans are nearly extinct and alien settlers have arrived.

Until recently, the E’rikon have remained segregated in their city and ignored the few humans who have tried to engage them… but now they have taken Jax’s brother. To rescue him, she forms an uneasy alliance with a teenage E’rikon left stranded in the woods. She agrees to guide him to the city if he sneaks her past the human-proof barrier. Too bad it’s not that simple.

Jax, who cannot stand to be touched, finds that she’s drawn to the alien boy with bright green hair and jewel-like scales down his back. And he’s equally affected by her, the courageous redhead with haunted eyes. But she doesn’t know the alien’s true motives and he has no idea that she is much more than she seems.

In this world where alien and human are at odds, the connection forming between the two has consequences. What started off as a rescue mission sets a chain of events in motion which threatens not only the remaining humans and the growing alien society, but Earth itself.


My Rating:
★★★★★
Review:
I recieved this book from NetGalley for an honest review, all reviews and opinions are my own.

I was hooked into this book from page one all the way up until then end, and now I can't wait for the next one to be out. Jax the main character has been through a lot, and is a little mentally unstable because of it. I personally can really connect to this kind of character since I have been through a similar situation, and I loved that even though she was constantly pushed into uncomfortable situations she would still push through for her brother. Jax's character is very real and believable throughout the story; she has issues with people being close to her and anxiety and it is portrayed very well. But she doesn't use these things as a crutch, she works through it and any person that deals with anxiety or a past problem can tell you sometimes little tricks like the ones Jax uses are needed to get by.The cover also reflects Jax perfectly this is exactly how I pictured her in my mind.

The only downside is that there isn't much known about these aliens that have been here for ten years. One would think that someone would know something. A little is told about the world but still most of the aliens world is up in the air and not explained. I am hoping there is more about the alien's city and maybe even where they come from in the second book. Even with all that information left out it was still a very good read and I understand you can only fit so much information into one book at a time. There was a lot going on in just this one book many surprising twists I didn't see coming. 

I also loved Jax's name as well as Lir's. Talking about Lir, a guy with green/golden hair I could get on board with someone like that. My favorite color is green so I was already hooked and then as I kept reading and learning more about Lir I just fell for him. He is very sweet and caring even when some things go wrong he is always willing to appologize and admit he is wrong. I know a few men who could learn from this character. 

I liked how this has a different feel to it than some of the other science fiction books that I have read. In this book the aliens aren't hiding or blending in with the population and they didn't come to earth to start a war, or most of them didn't not at first. This is a very unique read and I am excited and can't wait for the next book in the series.

If you would like to know more about Theresa Kay and the other books she is working on please visit her site here: http://www.theresakay.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment